Library Timeline
1891

Construction of Old Main Begins
Main Building (now known as Old Main) was where the original library was housed. One of the many reasons for its construction was the critical need for an expanded library. The construction was overseen by Dr. Albert E. Maltby.
1893

Old Main Construction Finishes
Old Main opened with the library on the second floor. The original hours were from 9:15-5:15, but in 1920 they expanded to have evening hours from 6:30-8:30.
1936

The Old Main Library is Deemed a Hazard
Due to the size and weight of the library, inspectors deemed it too unsafe to remain operational. The SRU Board of Trusteed allocated $100,000 under the Pennsylvania Authority Act of 1935 to the construction of a new library.
5/21/1938

The Cornerstone for Maltby Library is Laid During Alumni Day
This new library was named after Dr. Maltby, who served as the second principal of Slippery Rock State Normal School.
1/30/1939

Maltby Library Formally Opens
Maltby Library was part of the “largest construction project ever undertaken at one time in the history of Slippery Rock University.” It saw a lot of activity when it first opened, and was considered a phenomenal facility and a major improvement from the Old Main Library.
1960

Maltby Library Expands
This expansion included the addition of another floor and becomes a hub of activities, including dinner dances, art exhibitions, and movie showings.
1966

A New Library is in the Planning Stages
In 1964, students began to complain about the lack of space and structural issues in Maltby Library. These complaints lead to a plan for a new, larger facility to meet the needs of an expanding collection.
1969

Construction for the New Library Begins
1971

The New Library Completes Construction
The new library contains an extensive Instructional Materials Center and houses academic support and student services.
5/8/1972

The Move from Maltby Library to the New Library Begins
Maltby was revamped into a new department for Computer Sciences. Today, Maltby Center houses a television studio, the Martha Gault Art Gallery, and other administrative offices.
1979

The New Library is Named Bailey Library
Dr. Matilda Bailey taught at Slippery Rock State Teachers College from 1935 to 1958. She took charge of the Junior High School English work and was considered one of the most popular faculty at SRSTC. Her resignation was described as “a crippling blow to class and school morale.”
1981

Bailey Library Receives Many Accolades, Including Being Ranked 13th Best in the State
1997

Friends of Bailey Library Furnishes a Reading Room
This photo, taken around 2017, is of the current reading room. The original room was on the first floor and then moved to the second. It was refurnished and relocated to the third floor during renovations.
2010

A Major Renovation Project Begins
This renovation began with the creation of the Technology Learning Center (TLC).
September 2013

Bailey Library Holds a Grand Opening of its Research Services Center
The center included group learning spaces, student worker information desks, and a library research assistance office. Additionally, the TLC was moved to its current location on the first floor.
Fall 2014

A New Math Classroom Opens on the Second Floor
Meanwhile, bound journal were moved from the 3rd floor to compact shelving on the ground floor.
2015

The 3rd Floor is Renovated
The entire overhaul of the 3rd floor includes the addition of a new Reading Room, a student computer lab, and the University Archives
2016

The Final Phases of the Renovation Begin
The final phase included a new front lobby and entrance, new HVAC systems, and new windows. Special Collections was also created during this time and is housed next to the Archives on the 3rd floor. There were many challenges during this final phase for faculty and students because the extensive construction made many parts of the library off-limits.
2018

Bailey Library Officially Reopens for the Spring Semester
On March 29th, the library hosted an Open House to showcase the new renovations.
2020

Bailey Library Temporarily Closes due to COVID-19
The library closed in March of 2020 and reopened in August with limited hours and new regulations that included reconfiguring computer layouts and new cleaning standards.