The Library in Old Main (1891-1939)
The legacy of Slippery Rock University’s libraries began in 1891 when Slippery Rock State Normal School was two years old and contained only three buildings. The school was experiencing success, and with that came the need for an expanded library. Construction of the Main Building (now Old Main) began under the supervision of Principal Dr. Albert Elias Maltby and finished in 1893 with the library housed on the second floor. The original hours were from 9:15 am to 5:15 pm, but in 1920 the hours were expanded to include evening hours from 6:30-8:00. The library was such a success that, in 1934, all students had to take ten lessons on “using the library” to graduate. However, this success would not last forever. In 1936, the library in the Main Building was deemed a hazard due to its size and weight. The Board of Trustees allocated $100,000 to construct a new library and announced its new name in 1937: Maltby Library, named after the aforementioned principal. The largest construction project of the school’s history began, with North Hall receiving priority over the new library. This was due to a wing of North Hall collapsing in on itself and endangering the students who lived in those dorms. However, North Hall burnt down that same year due to a kitchen fire. Therefore, Maltby Library became the main priority for the expansion of Slippery Rock State Teacher’s College.The cornerstone for Maltby Library was laid during Alumni Day on May 21st, 1938.
Old Main is still an icon of the university and currently houses administrative and student services offices.
The Maltby Library Years (1939-1971)
Maltby Library was formally opened on January 30th, 1939. Unlike the library in Old Main, Maltby Library was built with functionality in mind, featuring large windows and reference rooms. It was built alongside several other buildings including the new North Hall, Strain Behavioral Science Building, and the President’s Residence. The Pi Gamma Mu Fraternity described Maltby Library in one of their publications soon after it opened:
“On either side of the lobby are large…reading rooms…around the walls these reading rooms are a series of built-in bookcases, readily accessible to the students. In the left reading rooms are the bound periodicals and in the right reading room are the education, art, and music books. A special reference room containing the encyclopedias and similar general reference books is located in the left reading room.”
Maltby Library also housed a speech laboratory, and auditorium, dressing rooms, storage rooms, and a basement to house more books, many of which were donated through The Maltby Fund and The Carnegie Endowment. The new library experienced a bevy of activity when it first opened, partially due to sheer curiosity. Students agreed that it was a phenomenal facility and a major upgrade from the dim library in Old Main.
The library expanded in 1960 after a recommendation from The Department of Public Instruction. It faced even more success after this expansion and became the hub for student activity, hosting events like dinner dances, art exhibitions, movie showings, and more. Yet, like the old library, this success did not last for long. Complaints about Maltby Library began to surface in 1964, with the most common complaints consisting of students taking books and not returning them, crowded reading spaces, and a lack of a cohesive shelving system. One year later, a new library was in the planning stages and began construction in 1969.
Maltby, now known as Maltby Center, houses a television studio, the Martha Gault Art Gallery, and several administrative offices.
The Bailey Library Years (1971-Present)
The new library, which initially lacked a name, finished construction in 1971. It contained an extensive Instructional Materials Center, academic support, and student services. The move from Maltby Library to the new library began on May 8th, 1972. In September of that year, Maltby, referred to as “the former library,” housed the new Computer Science Department. This new library was crowned by faculty, staff, and students as a modern facility, including new library technology and computers as early as 1974. The new library gained its name, Bailey Library, in 1979 in honor of former Slippery Rock Professor, Dr. Matilda Bailey. In 1981, Bailey Library was ranked 13th best in the state and was considered “among the best” of university libraries. The Friends of Bailey Library furnished a reading room in 1997, and in 2011, Bailey Library embarked on an extensive renovation project to create the library we know today. Over approximately 7 years, nearly every space was renovated within the building. The reconstructed and modernized Bailey Library held its Open House event on March 19th, 2018. Since then, Bailey Library continues to evolve its collections, spaces, and technology to better suit the needs of Slippery Rock students, faculty, and community.
Some services housed in Bailey Library are The Writing Center, the Technology Learning Center, The Instructional Materials Center, The University Archives, and Special Collections.
Matilda Bailey: The Namesake of Our Library
Matilda Bailey was hired at Slippery Rock State Teachers College on September 21st, 1935, and was put in charge of the Junior High School English classes. Previously, she taught in the Clarion school system. Dr. Bailey received her doctorate from the University of Pittsburgh in 1938. During her career, she was noted as “one of the most popular faculty at Slippery Rock.” She left teaching for a while to focus on her writing, only to return in 1957. However, her writing career became more demanding and she left again in 1958. Her departure was described as “a crippling blow to class and school morale.” She still taught as a visiting professor for many years. Dr. Matilda Bailey passed away on May 11th, 1979. Later that year, Bailey Library was named in her honor.
Further Reading:
- The Legend Behind the Name– Robert J. Watson (2011) Bailey Library Location
- Slippery Rock University: A Pictorial History– Slippery Rock University Alumni Association Bailey Library Location
- An Architectural History of Slippery Rock University- John Ferrera SRU Building History
- Thru Fifty Years of Normal School and Teachers College: A History compiled by Theta chapter Pi Gamma Mu, Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania, 1889-1939– Brothers of Pi Gamma Mu (1939) Located at SRU Archives’ Robert and Karen Waston Collection
- “Dr. M Bailey Resigns”- The Rocket (1958) The Rocket: Digital Collections